Pain Management with PEMF Therapy
Pain management is one of the most common applications for PEMFs. Whether the pain is acute or chronic, inflammatory or vascular, musculoskeletal or in the nervous system, PEMFs act in fundamental ways to help with both pain perception (pain-blocking) and the cause of the pain itself (pain reduction).
PEMF therapy helps with pain relief in 3 powerful ways:
1) PEMF therapy increases endorphins, serotonin, and other hormones help to relieve pain.
How does this work? Let’s begin with endorphins, the “Feel-Good” or “Happiness” hormones. Endorphins are your body’s natural opiates. Your body makes opiates; you don’t have to take morphine, oxycodone, Percocet or Vicodin. There are ways to naturally stimulate endorphins in your body.
PEMF therapy is one of those ways, and there’s research to prove that.
When your endorphin levels are high you naturally feel happier, more relaxed, less stressed, and you certainly feel less pain. Why do you think that most of the powerful pain killers are opiate-based? It’s because endorphins have been shown to be the most effective form of pain relief. But your body can create them naturally. In addition to PEMF therapy, other methods that increase endorphins include massage, yoga, meditation, deep breathing, certain foods, good hydration, and even just smiling. Add PEMF therapy to those methods and you’ll really notice some serious pain relief.
2) PEMF therapy reduces and temporarily interrupts the pain signal. Less signal equals less pain.
The second way that PEMF therapy helps is that it interrupts the signal that causes the pain. PEMF generates micro-currents that run through the neural pathways which reduce the signal needed to create the feeling or sensation of pain. Less signal equals less pain perception. PEMF not only helps to improve your “happiness hormones” but it directly decreases the triggering of the pain response. In doing so, it raises your threshold for pain so you don’t feel pain as intensely.
3) PEMF therapy actually heals the problem. Using the analogy of the oil light coming on in your car, PEMF therapy is like putting the oil back into your car so the light goes off. While the traditional medicine approach is like cutting the wire to the oil light so you don’t know that there’s a problem. PEMF actually heals and regenerates the tissue so the pain really goes away.
Pain mechanisms can be extremely complex, but on the most basic level involve a signal being transferred to a receptor and causing a change in cellular behavior.
THE GOAL is to prevent cellular injury in the first place, which is WHY daily treatment of PEMF therapy is essential. But with acute injuries that have ALREADY happened, the goal is of course, injury resolution and pain management.
The body normally does its own pain-blocking in response to pain signals through an increase in levels of serotonin, dopamine, endorphin and encephalins along with a decrease in cortisol and noradrenaline.
The primary mechanisms for pain in response to cell injury are edema, apoptosis or necrosis, diminished circulation, decreased cellular metabolism and impaired cellular repair processes. PEMFS reverse ALL these :
– Improve circulation/microcirculation.
– Enhance cellular metabolism and energy.
– Improve detoxification and reverse swelling/edema.
– Stimulate stem cells and cellular regeneration to ACTUALLY heal the problem so the pain GOES away and stays away.